Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Dreaming the Lieberman Dream

Even with Biden providing such a great red meat speech, he did not provide with me with my favorite moment of the night. That was given to me by an unlikely candidate: David Brooks. Here is Brooks on PBS at the end of the evening:

JIM LEHRER: OK, David Brooks -- and, as Senator Obama himself said, tomorrow night we're at a football stadium, 75,000 people. What does he do now to finish this thing off?

DAVID BROOKS, Columnist, New York Times: Well, he'll sum it all up.

And the thing that strikes me -- and just to bring up something Richard said -- I think what tonight and especially the last couple nights puts a lot more pressure on John McCain, especially the vice presidential pick.

They are trying so hard to tie John McCain to George Bush, I think it incredible strengthens the case for him to pick Joe Lieberman. He's got to show somehow he's not George Bush.

And I think that -- you take a look at the case that was made by Joe Biden tonight, that's the obvious rejoinder.

I was sort of on the fence about whether he should pick Joe Lieberman as his running mate, but now I think it's the clear answer to the very strong case that both Bill Clinton, John Kerry, and Joe Biden made, which is Bush-McCain, Bush-McCain. He's got to show some difference, because they made that case pretty well tonight.
Yes McCain, please listen to David Brooks - pick Lieberman! Please!

No comments: