Friday, February 15, 2008

Hillary is not good for our party.

Kos ends a great piece today, where he gives the Clinton campain a good bitch slap, with this:

What's most interesting to me about this whole affair, however, is that the Clintonistas would even suggest the use of super delegates to subvert the will of the Democratic Party electorate. It betrays a lack of confidence in their candidate's electoral viability, even with a calendar that will become far more favorable to her in March, while seemingly confirming every right-wing charge that the Clintons place winning above all else, including principle.

That they would even suggest a tactic that would sunder the Democratic Party, kicking off a vicious and destructive civil war, tells me that like Bill in the 90s, when our majorities in Congress and all around the country were decimated and the party's base left to wither and die, Hillary will put her own interests above those of their party. And to me, there's no greater sin in Democratic politics than that.

So the Clinton campaign has graduated from saying that certain states don't matter, to saying certain voters don't matter, to now saying that the Democratic Party electorate doesn't matter.

To be clear, it's not that I'm surprised. It's just that I thought they'd be more subtle about it.

3 comments:

Shawn said...

That's some awesome writing, both in the use of language, and the poinant commentary. Now I understand why you read DailyKos and Josh Marshall in particular.

Anonymous said...

I agree with all this..but I have another bone to pick with the whole Hillary thing. I have been lambasted by various women as being a traitor to the feminist cause by not voting for Hillary, as if we need to support any woman in her run for President even if we don't think she's the best person for the job.

Doesn't that just put women back into the oppressed box. Why should I vote for a woman just because she's a woman..isn't true equality ignoring gender and race and just choosing the best person for the job. I don't know......I still do feel a lot of guilt not voting for Hillary, but she just doesn't do it for me...from her "in the beltway" feel, to her vote on Iraq, to her Clintonesque pull towards the middle...

Lauren said...

I totally agree with you Caroline.

I have totally gotten over my guilt. By that logic we should have all loved Margarete Thatcher. What if Condi Rice was running? - would we have to vote for her?

Honestly, I don't find the idea of an African American President any less exciting than a women.

or you could really play devil's advocate and argue that Hillary Clinton is anti-feminist, because it actually shows that the only way a woman can get to the White House is if her husband wins the election first. I mean he did all of the hard work.